I’m really enjoying Slavoj Žižek’s “Trouble in Paradise” just now.
For the hard of hearing, I’M REALLY ENJOYING SLAVOJ ŽIŽEK’S “TROUBLE IN PARADISE” JUST NOW.
This work has turned me onto wholesome red-blooded Commie ‘dialectic humour’:
“A guy sits down in a cafe and asks the waiter for a coffee without cream… the waiter apologises and says they’re out of cream but would a coffee without milk be OK?”
I’ve recently started using Goodreads, why not join me: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/54559133-lyle-christine
Last 10 songs added to my YouTube favourites list:
- House Of Broken Promises – The Hurt (Paid My Dues)
- Neil Young – The Needle and the Damage Done
- Cat Stevens – Sitting
- ELO – The Diary of Horace Wimp
- Betty Boo – Hey DJ I Can’t Dance
- Rapeman – Two Nuns and a Pack Mule
- Green Day – BBC Sessions 1996
- Jaco Pastorius – Dear Prudence
- Sluts of Trust – Leave You Wanting More
- Trouble – Tales of Brave Ulysses
- Writing lyrics is my least favourite part of creating music. I’ve made some terrible lyrical mistakes in the past which should have been punished by tar and feathering. Approaches which are valid: stream-of-consciousness; critical/political; surreal; punny. Approaches which stink: obvious/literal; love and/or sex; boneheaded banality; nostalgia; twee.
- Vocal styles which I detest: that screamy screamo/hardcore/emo thing; and similarly, the ‘bowels of hell’ impression of satan that usually happens at some point in a screamy screamo/hardcore/emo track (“OK auld yin, and is the jitterbug too highly sexualised for your taste?”); the whispered baby-voice that accompanies acoustic interpretations of popular 20th Century songs on TV ads just now; twee baby-voice; people who sing from their postcode rather than heart (e.g. exaggerated “Laaahndahn Taaahn”).
- Calvin Harris, David Guetta and Skrillex earned an average of $42 million last year. Since 2014, I have earned $12.87 in royalties (half of which were my own purchases to test that the royalty system is legit). They say “you gotta live the blues to play the blues”, but I’m broke and my pentatonic riffs always sound like Lenny Kravitz.
The last 10 videos I added to my YouTube favourites playlist were from: Desalvo; Tim Cappello (Lost Boys); Bruce Hornsby; Ghostbusters Theme Remix; Roy Buchanan; David Bowie; Beastie Boys; Stevie Wonder; Gloria Gaynor; Primus
I particularly recommend the Roy Buchanan track (“Sweet Dreams”) – beautiful guitar playing. Also, Desalvo were a band from Glasgow I had the pleasure of watching live in 2008 at the Balcony Bar in Dundee. Excellent stuff, shame they split. Also, Desalvo employed a screaming vocal style which sounds sincere to me – that’s what makes the difference.